I won't lie to you - I had a McDonalds milkshake on my birthday. What? I needed to sober up after we went to the theatre, and the restaurant wasn't open yet. At least it was across the road from Casa Battlo.
Eyescream and Friends - coolest ice-cream in Barcelona (of which more later).
- delicious cheap eats to tide you over until your siesta, after a morning at the beach.
Almond-scattered chocolate from a little patisserie - delicious, but gosh it's too hot for chocolate over there.
Coffee-and-cake break time in our hotel, every day between 5 and 7.
My cute wee hedgehog birthday cake :-)
La Boqueria market for the ripest peaches and cherries,
a multitude of ice lolly flavours,
and some very delicious crepes.
Back to Eyescream and Friends, though - they shave their ice cream (which is why it's all cool and rippled), and then you get to choose two toppings (I have gone for maximum sickliness here - dulche de leche and condensed milk; Dan opted for maximum childishness with gummy bears and strawberry sauce). Then they put two wee eyes on it, so it can watch you eating it. Cool eh? I thought the packaging was particularly impressive - all recyclable and it collapses down to be completely flat. I do like a well-thought-out design.
Jamon Iberico, in a cone, with breadsticks. You know when you have antipasti and you think MY this cured ham is delicious, I could eat loads of this all the time? Well, the fact is, you can't. We tried. After about five bits your whole mouth is coated in a grease that only copious amounts of ice-cream and Coca Cola can shift. It seems you can have too much of a good thing.
More places worth visiting for some nourishment:
- great TripAdvisor reviews, and an excellent place for brunch.
- very decent tapas place, where we tried Padron peppers for the first time (if you haven't
yet, do - they're delicious)
- a pizza place which also does an excellent, and extremely cheap, breakfast.
- another TripAdvisor find - amazing, Michelin-star-worthy food, cooked by a chef who turned out to be from Newcastle. Of all the places, eh?